You can bring a Mexican fiesta to your family dinner table just in time for Cinco de Mayo! This one dish meal is loaded with chicken, rice, onions, bell peppers, black beans, corn, tomatoes and cheese combined with taco-inspired seasonings which add an authentic kick. It’s a fun, casual family meal that makes everyone happy.
The healthy and colourful ingredients in this dish make it a complete family weeknight meal to serve at any time of the year. It’s also an ideal dish to bring to a potluck. The ingredients are cooked in one skillet on the stove-top then popped into the oven for a few minutes for the cheese topping to melt and bubble sending enticing aromas throughout the house. Serving it right out of the skillet makes it very appealing and will have everyone standing in line for their turn to dig in.
You could easily replace the ground chicken with ground beef if you prefer. Feel free to adjust the spice level to suit your family’s taste. Ideally, a cast iron skillet works great for this dish but if you don’t have one any oven-proof skillet will work.
I recommend serving this skillet with tortilla chips, guacamole, sour cream, shredded lettuce and lime wedges as sides.
This Mexican skillet meal is a winner. You must try it!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 450g (1lb) lean ground chicken
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- ½ cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup diced canned tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 teaspoon up to 1 tablespoon chili powder (as desired)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese, for topping
- 2 green onions, sliced for garnish
- Shredded lettuce, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Guacamole (optional)
- Tortilla chips (optional)
- Heat a large oven-proof 12” skillet over medium-high heat (preferably a cast iron skillet). Add the oil and once the oil is hot, add the ground chicken. Brown the chicken while breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon until golden-brown.
- Add garlic, onion, jalapeño pepper and diced peppers, Cook while stirring occasionally, for about 2 – 3 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- At this point preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- To the skillet add the rice, canned tomatoes, broth, lime juice, black beans and corn. Season with chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir to combine the ingredients. Bring the mixture to a light bubble. Let bubble for 2 minutes then reduce heat to medium-low, cover with a lid, and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Turn the heat off, sprinkle the top with shredded cheese and transfer the skillet, uncovered, into the preheated oven. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and sprinkle top with sliced green onions. Serve right out of the skillet with sour cream, shredded lettuce, lime wedges, guacamole and tortilla chips, as desired.